Home   |      Enter the Diaries      |      Copyright      |      Contact Us      |      Acknowledgements    
 

 Trinity     |     Documents     |     Images

 
 

Trinity June 14th, 1810

Mr. Robert Slade Sir

I now enclose your alphaís, invoice & bill of lading of her cargo which vessels we did not finish loading until this day, owning the bad weather, we have had since writing you the seven inst the Lady Ann. Neither the Cosmopolite, Falcon or Gallopper are returned for the reason of the formers destination & on her account of her fish & hoops I beg to refer you to the copies of Hart & Eppeís letters here enclosed.

The removal of the bounty, the suspension of the American none intercourse act & the favorable account from Portugal seem to hold forth encouraging prospects for the sale of fish your early letters prevented me from purchasing old fish this spring. I am sorry we canít raise a cargo for the Falcon, but there is none now to be bought, nor has there been any for sometime past without Bill. I am anxiously looking out for the Active & Gannet, as our stock of salt is drawing short & if either one or the other do not soon make her appearance we shall be bad off, Mr. Garland had a large ship (Chartered) arrive from Liverpool, yesterday loaded with that article, the Capt of which did not hear of any other Vessels Coming from thence to this place, except the Garland Mr. Durrell kindly offers to lend one or two Hogsheads should ours not arrive in time. The opening of the American Ports will I expect considerably lower the price of provisions & I wish very much you had not sent out that old bread, the people here donít consider the reduction of price as anything when the quality is inferior, it is very much touched with the wevil & I fear we shall be a long time before we get rid of it even at a reduced price, but the worst of it is, giving the place a bad name. I would advise you always to send good articles but the price be what it will you say you shall send out the necessary articles for another schooner at summer I give strong reasons to discourage it. My reasons for discouraging the building of another are these, we cant get her ready for the ice next spring without hiring another carpenter or two & a blacksmith, the processing of all or either of these would be very difficult & perhaps impossible surpassing she was finished in time, the uncertainty of procuring a master & crew for her to the ice is very great & I donít at present see any real necessity for two Schooners for any other purpose as tis likely we can have a small brig out early next spring to cruise up the bay at all events I would advise you to defer it for another twelve months we shall have plenty of work for are two carpenters to do, perhaps we might build a good fishing boat, bait skiff ice hunting punts (the two former of which are badly wanting) & get the stones in tolerable repair, all of which must be neglected should we put up another schooner the only objection against deferring it is the having by us, Timbers, & knees partly sufficient.

I entertain a bad opinion of ice hunting when I wrote you last fall, & the cosmopolite expensive & bad voyage has rather added to it, but as it is chance work & your ice hunters have made two poor voyages, the probability of making a third good voyage seems rather to preponderate & I would therefore advise you to make one trial more at least & to inform me as early as possible, that I may (if you wish another sealing voyage to be undertaken) look out in time for another master should you disapprove of Spencer.

In your letter of the 16th March you told me that J.N.O. Pope would not be able to come out & that you should send a person in his stead by the Falcon on her arrival I was much disappointed on finding no such person on board, I shall stop until the Gannet & Active arrives, when if I have nothing further concerning your sending one, I believe I shall make an enquiry at St. Johnís for an active young lad of the description I think is necessary, for I assure you, as I have told you before, it is of the first consequence that the Books & Stores be properly attended to.

The cod fishery has just commenced with rather a favorable prospects although late as soon as the hand returns I shall dispose of them in the best manner I possibly can for the killing a voyage. I have not yet quite determined on sending the schooner to the French shore, but as dower is an old hand then. I believe I shall if I can arrange the hands here to advantage. Christopher Christian I keep employed in the sail loft where if he recovers his health he will be of service, but hitherto he has been in a very weak state, as he also was (as I finds by the captain) during the greater part of the passage out. The Boy a passenger is put on board by Mr. Adams, who I believe expects Mr. Baird will pay his passage home but if he does not, I am to charge Mr. Adams £ 6.6 his account here the alpha I suppose you will send out again early, should the Gannet or Active miscarry her cargo of salt (alphas) would be very necessary a few coals I suppose you will also send by one or other of them I cant say anything positive about lumber until I see either the Gannet or Active. We have had a punt put fishing the last 2 or 3 days & have a large skiff in readiness which I shall send out tomorrow. Hoping the winds & weather will shortly permit the return of our hands & the arrival of one of the salt vessels I remain

Sir your humble servant

William Kelson

Source: Trinity Historical Society