Robert Slade left John Slade & Company in 1804 to establish his own
business at Trinity. He bought a house and leased a mercantile
premises belonging to John Jeffrey and later purchased it for £600. He
later acquired additional property at Maggoty Cove and Southwest Arm.
In addition he expanded to Catalina (1813), Heartís Content (1817) and
Hantís Harbour (1835).
James Gover managed the Trinity branch, 1804-1809, succeeded by
William Kelson, 1809-1851 and Alexander Warren Bremner, 1851-1861.
Bremner, in partnership with Walter Grieve, bought out the Slade
premises after they went insolvent in 1861, and therefore managed the
new firm of Grieve and Bremner on the premises. After Bremnerís death,
Grieve sold his interest in the firm to Bremnerís son, Robert
Sweetland Bremner, who carried on under his own name until he went
insolvent about 1900.
The firm with its local headquarters always at Trinity continued in
the ownership of Robert Slade or his sons under the following
Robert Slade, 1804-1822;
Slade & Kelson, 1822-1837;
Executors of Robert Slade Sr., 1837-1850;
Robert Slade & Co., 1850-1861
Although the name of William Kelson was included in the third style,
he was never a partner, but he was for many years after about 1810 the
agent at Trinity. It is his writing in these diaries on this virtual
exhibit that you are reading. Robertís sons-in-law, Robert Slade and
Thomas Arnold, managed the firm during the Slade & Kelson period. IN
1838, five years after Robert Seniorís death, his sons, Robert, Thomas
and James, gained control of the firm and changed the name to the
Executors of the late Robert Slade.Ē Kelson retired in 1851 and the
firm was then known as Robert Slade & Co. until it went insolvent in
Printed in the newspaper was the following notice: ď20 Aug 1861 Robert
Slade & Co. carrying on business in Trinity, Catalina and Hantís Hr.
were declared insolvent on 4th May last, Alexander Bremner
at Catalina, being the trustee, to whom, or to the managing agents at
the other places, debts were to be paid.
The present bell in St. Paulís Anglican Church at Trinity was
presented by Robert Slade in 1833.