Formerly named Bird Island Cove it was permanently settled between
1808-20. Slade’s had an establishment at Catalina from which the
people of Elliston purchased their goods and other supplies from as
well as sold their fish to. There was no road to Elliston until around
1858 so the only passage was by sea and it was thus that they traded
with Catalina. Slade later established a shop in Elliston in 1825
which was later owned by Bremner and in later years the Hobbs family.
The building was demolished in the early 1940s.