Robert Slade expanded his business from Trinity to Catalina in 1813.
James Lannigan managed the property from 1813-1821. He was sentenced
in 1822 to jail and deportation for larceny of funds from his
employer, Slade and Kelson.
Lanniganís successor was Alexander Bremner, 1821-1861, a Scotsman who
came out from his native Nairn to Newfoundland in 1811 and soon
afterwards entered the Slade employ at Trinity where he married Ann
White (or Lander), later removing to Catalina, where he was the last
Slade agent. All of their children were born at Catalina, the eldest
son being William and another Alexander Warren.
At the 1861 Slade insolvency, Alexander, and his younger sons, John
and Dugald, bought the Catalina premises and conducted their own
business for a few years until they sold out. Alexander Warren bought
the Trinity business where he formed a partnership with Walter Grieve
(1809 Ė 1887) who had his own firm in St. Johnís, Walter Grieve and
Company and the Trinity operation became known as Grieve & Bremner. In
1869 they also leased the Garland premises which made them the major
mercantile firm in Trinity at that time. During the operation Walter
Grieve lived primarily in Scotland while Alexander W. Bremner managed
the firm at Trinity. The firm engaged in all aspects of the trade and
maintained a huge inventory of goods at Trinity. Sealing was an
important aspect of the firms business and each year vessels were sent
to the ice, under such well known Captains as Richard Ash. The firm
maintained close ties with Walter Grieve and Company in St. Johnís and
Walter Grieve of Greenock, who shipped many of the supplies sold at
Grieve and Bremnerís shop and store. Alexander Bremner died in 1886,
followed by Walter Grieve in 1887, bringing an end to the business.
Bremner bequeathed his Catalina premises and property to his sons,
Robert S. and Alexander Hugh. With his fatherís share of the Trinity
estate, Robert Sweetland Bremner purchased the Grieve and Bremner
premises at Trinity from Grieveís trustees and continued to operate
the business until becoming insolvent in 1900.
Some correspondence between the Trinity and Catalina firms exists in
the Trinity Historical Society Archives.