Some time before 1830, a Slade firm was established at Carbonear.
When, in 1838-39, the firm was liquidated its style was Slade, Biddle
& Co., the partners being Robert Slade Sr., Mark Seagar, Robert Major
and Rolles Biddle. Within a few years before that, there had been
three Carbonear firms styled respectfully (a) Slade & Elson, (b)
Harrison, Slade & Co., (c) Ledgard & Slade. It is very probable that
the founder was Robert Slade Sr., and that he was the same Robert who
founded the Trinity firm, and that these successive firms carried on
business on the one set of premises at Carbonear. The Slade premises
at Carbonear were purchased about 1839 by John Rorke.